When blood is collected, it still contains all of the blood components; thus it is called "Whole Blood." A short 30-minute whole blood donation can help as many as four children.
- The most common type of donation.
- Donations can be made every 56 days.
- To ensure a positive donation experience appointments are encouraged.
How do I prepare?
On the day of donation:
- Make sure you are well hydrated.
- Make sure you eat a meal prior to donating.
- Bring a photo ID with you.
|Blood Type||% of the U.S. population|
|O+||O+, A+, B+, AB+|
|A-||A+, A-, AB+, AB-|
|B-||B+, B-, AB+, AB-|