Treatment & Care
Specific treatment for impetigo will be determined by your child's physician.
Things to know about treatment:
- For a child with many lesions, oral antibiotics may be prescribed.
- If your child only has a few lesions, your child's physician may prescribe a topical antibiotic applied directly to the lesions.
- Your child should wash daily with an antibacterial soap to help decrease the chance of spreading the infection.
- Everyone in the household should use proper hand-washing technique to help decrease the chance of spreading the infection.
- Keep your child's fingernails short to help decrease the chance of scratching and spreading the infection.
- Avoid sharing garments, towels, etc. to prevent the spread of the infection.