Poison ivy and poison oak
Treatment & Care
Making sure your child avoids the poisonous plants in the first place is the best option. It is important to teach your children what the plants look like — and not to touch them.
If contact with the plants has already occurred:
- Remove the oils from the skin as soon as possible.
- Cleansing with an ordinary soap within six hours after the initial exposure has proven to be effective. Repeat the cleaning with the soap three times.
- There are also alcohol-based wipes that help remove oils from the skin.
- Wash all clothes and shoes to remove any remaining oils.
If the poison ivy blisters and rash are on the face, near the genitals or all over the body, your child's physician should be notified. After a medical history and physical examination, your child's doctor may prescribe a steroid cream, oral steroids or steroid injections to help with the swelling and itching.