Research & Innovation
Children’s Hospital Boston is home to the world’s most extensive research enterprise at a pediatric hospital. We also have many partnerships with research, biotech and health care organizations, and we work together to find innovative ways to improve kids’ health.
We are currently investigating many areas to try to identify causes and improve diagnosis and treatment of Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis, including:
- investigating changes in genes that may make a person susceptible to IBD
- studying bacteria in the intestines that may participate in causing irritation and inflammation present in IBD
- determining which of our current treatments are most effective in getting these diseases under control
- studying abnormalities in the immune system that may predispose someone to IBD
- discovering new, noninvasive ways of assessing disease activity in children with IBD
- investigating new medications in treatment of Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis and pouchitis after ulcerative colitis surgery.
- studying bone mineral density in IBD and treatments of low bone density
- explaining the cause and refining the treatment of iron deficiency in IBD
- studying ways to prevent and treat depression in children and adolescents with IBD
|What’s it like to be a medical research subject?|