Thyroglossal duct cyst
What are the symptoms of a thyroglossal cyst?
- The cyst is seen as a mass in the middle of the neck.
- It's round and firm with no opening.
- The cyst usually does not cause any pain.
- The cyst moves up when the tongue is stuck out of the mouth or with swallowing.
- Occasionally the cyst can be seen to one side or other of the breathing tube.
- Bacteria from the mouth may infect the thyroglossal duct cyst, which can cause sudden swelling of the cyst and redness or tenderness in the area of the cyst.