Tree nut allergies
Which foods and ingredients must a tree-nut-allergic person watch out for?
Avoid foods with any of the following ingredients:
- Brazil nuts
- Gianduja (a creamy mixture of chocolate and chopped toasted nuts found in premium or imported chocolate)
- Macadamia nuts
- Marzipan/almond paste
- Nu-Nuts (artificial nuts are peanuts that have been deflavored and reflavored with a nut such as pecan or walnut)
- Nut butters (cashew butter, almond butter)
- Nut oil
- Nut paste (almond paste)
- Pine nuts (pignolia, pinion)
- Natural extracts, such as pure almond extract. (Imitation or artificially flavored extracts are often safe.)
Anything else to consider?
- Ethnic foods, commercially prepared baked goods and candy can often be cross-contaminated with nuts as nuts are frequently used in these types of foods.
- Tree nuts are being added to an increasing variety of foods, such as barbecue sauce, cereal, crackers and ice cream.