Vertical or complete vaginal septum
What are the symptoms of vertical or complete vaginal septum?
Common symptoms include:
- pain upon inserting a tampon
- menstrual blood leaks out even with a tampon inserted
What causes vertical or complete vaginal septum?
- A vertical or complete vaginal septum forms during embryological development when the tubes that eventually become a vagina don't fuse together properly.
- The cause of this genetic abnormality is unknown.
How will vertical or complete vaginal septum affect my daughter's sex life and fertility?
- Having a vertical or complete vaginal septum may not affect her sexual life at all. However, some women with a vertical septum experience pain during sex.
- Women with a vertical septum can have a normal reproductive life. But because there are two uteri and two cervices, there is a higher risk for premature delivery or breech presentation (when the baby's feet come out first), which usually requires a Caesarean section.
- Women with two cervices need a Pap smear from both the left and right cervix.