Branchial cleft remnant
Treatment & Care
What is the treatment for branchial cleft remnant?
Complete surgical removal of branchial remnants should be performed.
- The operation is usually done as a day surgery procedure under general anesthesia.
- An overnight stay may be needed for operations done deep in the neck.
What happens after the surgery?
- Your child should not do any strenuous exercise for five to seven days after the surgery.
- Your child should not bathe until three days after the surgery.
- Bandage or Steri-strips should remain in place for five to seven days after the surgery.
Recurrence of the cyst or sinus is possible, and is more common when the operation is done at the time of an active infection.