Treatment & Care
A bruise will usually heal on its own, but here are some general guidelines for treatment:
- Calm your child and let him or her know that you can help.
- Apply a cold or ice pack for the first 24 hours after injury to help reduce swelling and discomfort. After one or two days, try warm soaks or a warm bath to help the area feel better.
- If the bruise or swelling is on the lips or in the mouth, offer your child an ice cube or ice pop to suck on.
- Avoid massaging the bruised area or putting more pressure on it.
- If the bruise involves a large area on an arm or a leg, elevate the limb to help reduce swelling.