DMSA renal (kidney) scan
A DMSA renal scan is a nuclear medicine test that shows pictures of the kidneys and how they are working.
How Boston Children's Hospital approaches DMSA renal scans
The Division of Nuclear Medicine at Children's is committed to providing a safe, comfortable and child-friendly atmosphere with:
- specialized nuclear medicine physicians with expertise in interpreting DMSA renal scans in children of all ages
- certified nuclear medicine technologists with years of experience imaging children and teens
- Child Life specialists to help families prior to and during exams
- equipment adapted for pediatric use, which means age-appropriate care for children
- protocols that keep radiation exposure as low as reasonably achievablewhile assuring high image quality.