Harvard-wide Pediatric Health Services Research Fellowship Program
James M. Perrin, M.D.
Professor of Pediatrics at Harvard Medical School and Director of the Division of General Pediatrics at the MassGeneral Hospital for Children; Associate Chair for Research, MGH Department of Pediatrics .
Dr Perrin is a pre-eminent pediatric health services researcher and leading authority on health policy. He is an active and committed program mentor. He chaired the American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Children with Disabilities and is past president of the Ambulatory Pediatric Association. For the American Academy of Pediatrics, he also co-chaired a committee to develop practice guidelines for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and then a group advising the AAP on the implementation of the guidelines. His research has examined asthma, middle ear disease, children’s hospitalization, health insurance, and childhood chronic illness and disabilities, with a recent emphasis on quality of life and use of primary and subspecialty care for children and adolescents with chronic illness. He currently heads the MGH coordinating center for the national Autism Treatment Network. He leads a multidisciplinary group providing systematic evidence reviews for the HHS Secretary’s Advisory Committee on Heritable Disorders in Newborns and Children. Dr. Perrin was the founding editor of Ambulatory Pediatrics, the journal of the Ambulatory Pediatric Association. He has served on the Institute of Medicine’s Committees on Maternal and Child Health under Health Care Reform, Quality of Long-Term-Care Services in Home and Community-Based Settings, Enhancing Federal Healthcare Quality Programs, and Disability in America; the National Commission on Childhood Disability, and the Disability Policy Panel of the National Academy of Social Insurance (Chair, Children’s Committee). He received a Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Investigator Award in Health Policy Research. He also served as a member of the Health Care Technology study section of the Agency for Health Care Policy and Research and of the National Advisory Council for the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications (from over 130 peer-reviewed publications)
1. Bloom SR, Kuhlthau K, Van Cleave J, Knapp AA, Newacheck P, Perrin JM. Health care transitions for youth with special health care needs. J Adol Health, in press.
2. Katz ML, Laffel LM, Perrin JM, Kuhlthau KA. Impact of type 1 diabetes on the family is reduced by the medical home, care coordination, and family centered care. JPediatr, in press.
3. Ghandour RM, Kogan MD, Blumberg SJ, Jones JR, Perrin JM. Mental health conditions among school-aged children: Geographic and sociodemographic patterns in prevalence and treatment. J Dev Beh Peds, 2012; 33: 42-54.
4. Van Cleave J, Dougherty DM, Perrin JM. Strategies to address barriers to publishing pediatric quality improvement research. Pediatrics, 2011; 128: e678-e686..
5. Isong IA, Silk H, Rao S, Perrin JM, Savageau JA, Donelan K. Provision of fluoride varnish to Medicaid-enrolled children by physicians: The Massachusetts experience. Health Services Research, 2011; 46: 1843-1862.
6. Zuckerman KE, Nelson K, Bryant TK, Hobrecker K, Perrin JM, Donelan K. Specialty referral communication and completion in the community health center setting. Acad Pediatr, 2011; 11: 288-296.
7. Kuhlthau K, Bloom S, Van Cleave J, Romm D, Klatka K, Homer C, Newacheck P, Perrin JM. Evidence for family-centered care for children with special health care needs: A systematic review. Acad Pediatr, 2011; 11: 136-143.
8. Kemper AR, Knapp AA, Metterville DR, Comeau AM, Green NS, Perrin JM. Weighing the evidence for newborn screening for Hemoglobin H disease. J Pediatr, 2011; 158: 780-783.PMID: 21167500
9. Zuckerman KE, Cai X, Perrin JM, Donelan K. Incomplete specialty referral among children in communityhealth centers. J Pediatr, 2011; 158: 142-148. PMID: 20801461
10. Lipstein E, Nabi E, Perrin J, Luff D, Browning M, Kuhlthau K. Parent decision-making in newborn screening: Opinions, choices and information needs. Pediatrics, 2010: 126: 696-704. PMID: 20837593
11. Co JP, Johnson S, Poon E, Fiskio J, Rao S, Van Cleave J, Perrin J, Ferris T. Electronic health record decision support and quality of care for children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Pediatrics, 2010: 126: 239-246. PMID: 20643719
12. Lawson K, Bloom SR, Sadof M, Stille C, Perrin JM. Care coordination for children with special health care needs: Evaluation of a state experiment. Maternal and Child Health J, 2011; 15: 993-1000.PMID: 20721611
13. Van Cleave J, Gortmaker SL, Perrin JM. The dynamics of obesity and chronic health conditions among children and youth. JAMA, 2010; 303: 623-630. PMID 20159870
14. Perrin JM, Knapp AA, Browning MF, Comeau AM,Green NS,Lipstein EA, Metterville DR, Prosser L, Queally D,Kemper AR. An evidence development process for newborn screening. Genetics in Medicine, 2010; 12: 131-134. PMID 20154629
15. Lipstein EA, Vorono S, Browning MF, Green NS, Kemper AR, Knapp AA, Prosser LA, Perrin JM. A systematic review of the evidence for newborn screening and treatment of severe combined immunodeficiency. Pediatrics, 2010; 125: e1226-e1235. PMID: 20403930
16. Isong IA, Zuckerman KE, Rao SR, Kuhlthau KA, Winickoff JP, Perrin JM. The association between parents’ and children’s use of oral health services. Pediatrics, 2010; 125: 502-508. PMID: 20123775
17. Kogan MD, Blumberg SJ, Schieve LA, Boyle CA, Perrin JM, Ghandour RM, Singh GK, Strickland BB, Trevathan E, van Dyck PC. Prevalence of parent-reported diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder among children in the US, 2007. Pediatrics. 2009 Nov;124(5):1395-403. PMID: 19805460.
18. Zuckerman KE, Arauz Boudreau A, Lipstein EA, Kuhlthau KA, Perrin JM. Household language, parental developmental concerns, and child risk for developmental disorder. Acad Peds, 2009; 9: 97-105. PMID: 19329100
19. Newacheck PW, Houtrow AJ, Romm DL, Kuhlthau KA, Bloom SR, Van Cleave JM, Perrin JM. The future of health insurance for children with special health care needs. Pediatrics. 2009 May;123(5):e940-7. PMID: 19403486.
20. Lipstein EA, Perrin JM, Waisbren SE, Prosser LA. Impact of false-positive newborn metabolic screening results on early health care utilization. Genetics in Medicine, 2009; 11: 716-721. PMID: 19661808
21. Oreskovic NM, Kuhlthau KA, Romm D, Perrin JM. Built environment and weight disparities among children in high and low income towns. Acad Peds. 2009; 9: 315-321. PMID: 19477705
22. Lipstein EA, Perrin JM, Kuhlthau KA. School absenteeism, health status, and healthcare utilization among children with asthma: Associations with parental chronic disease. Pediatrics, 2009; 123: e60-e66. PMID: 19117848
23. Kogan MD, Strickland BB, Blumberg SJ, Singh GK, Perrin JM, van Dyck PC. A national profile of the health care experiences and family impact of autism spectrum disorder among children in the United States, 2005-2006. Pediatrics. 2008 Dec;122(6):e1149-58. PMID: 19047216.
24. Homer CJ, Klatka K, Romm D, Kuhlthau K, Bloom S, Newacheck P, Van Cleave J, Perrin JM. A review of the evidence for the medical home for children with special health care needs. Pediatrics. 2008 Oct;122(4):e922-37. PMID: 18829788.
25. Co JPT, Mohamed H, Kelleher ML, Edgman-Levitan S, Perrin JM. Feasibility of using a tablet computer survey for parental assessment of resident communication skills. Ambul Pediatr, 2008; 8: 375-378. PMID: 19084787
26. Tang MH, Hill KS, Boudreau AA, Yucel RM, Perrin JM, Kuhlthau KA. Medicaid managed care and the unmet need for mental health care among children with special health care needs. Health Serv Res. 2008 Jun;43(3):882-900. PMID: 18454773.
27. Perrin JM, Kuhlthau K, Chughtai A, Romm D, Kirschner BS, Ferry GD, Cohen SA, Gold BD, Heyman MB, Baldassano RN, Winter HS. Measuring quality of life in pediatric patients with inflammatory bowel disease: psychometric and clinical characteristics. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2008 Feb;46(2):164-71. Erratum in: J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2008 Apr;46(4):482. PMID: 18223375.
28. Kaushal R, Goldmann DA, Keohane CA, Christino M, Honour M, Hale AS, Zigmont K, Lehmann LS, Perrin J, Bates DW. Adverse drug events in pediatric outpatients. Ambul Pediatr, 2007; 7: 383-389. PMID: 17870647
29. Perrin JM, Bloom SR, Gortmaker SL. The increase of childhood chronic conditions in the United States. JAMA. 2007 Jun 27;297(24):2755-9. PMID: 17595277.
30. Perrin JM, Romm D, Bloom SR, Homer CJ, Kuhlthau KA, Cooley C, Duncan P, Roberts R, Sloyer P, Wells N, Newacheck P. A family-centered community-based system of services for children and youth with special health care needs. Arch Peds Adol Med, 2007; 161: 933-936. PMID: 17909135