Integrative Therapies Team
Who we are
The Integrative Therapies Team at Boston Children's Hospital provides a wide range of holistic therapies designed to compliment your child's medical care. As part of your child's recovery, we focus on restoring a child's mental balance, emotional vitality and sense of creativity. We also offer education for all health care practitioners, as well as demonstrations and education classes for parents on therapies such as:
- Massage therapy to enhance relaxation and decreases pain with pressure and flowing hand movements.
- Guided imagery focuses on the senses to bring relaxation, calm and strength to mental and physical resources.
- Reiki provides healing energy through gentle touch to provide relaxation and healing.
- Acupuncture stimulates special points within the body to bring symptom relief and healing.
- Expressive arts provides creative outlets to balance the body, mind and spirit.
- Yoga combines movement, poses, meditation and deep breathing to help a child relax.
- Therapeutic touch uses gentle hand movements, often just above the body, to bring balance and healing.
The point of acupuncture
Acupuncture, the insertion of special needles through the skin into underlying tissues at strategic points, has been used to alleviate pain and treat many diseases for more than 2,000 years. Medical acupuncture at Children's is performed by fully licensed physicians who have also had thorough training in acupuncture as a specialty practice.
If your child is afraid of needles?
Children's acupuncturists do not always use needles. They may use heat, massage, magnets, lasers or other devices. Sometimes, the acupuncturist may simply recommend special diets or herbs to improve energy flow.