Speech-Language Pathology Program
Clinical Feeding Assessment
During a clinical feeding assessment:
- the child and caregiver meet with a speech language pathologist who specializes in the area of pediatric feeding and swallowing.
- the child is seen in an office type setting and observed during a trial feeding.
- food is brought from home and supplied by the clinician.
- the child's oral motor skills, developmental feeding skills and swallowing are evaluated.
- speech and language skills are screened.
After the assessment is complete, recommendations are given to the family on the safest and most appropriate diet level for their child.