Laparoscopic Total Colectomy & Ileoanal Pullthrough
Some examples of urgent or emergency situations that would require this procedure are:
- bowel perforation
- severe bleeding
- toxic megacolon (the most acute and the least common)
If you have Ulcerative Colitis and...
- you are unresponsive to optimal medical management or are unable to be successfully weaned from chronic or long-term steroid therapy.
- you have an urgent or emergency situation in which an operation is necessary to avoid serious consequences.
you feel it is causing you an unacceptable quality of life. For example:
- inability to consistently go to school or worse
- side effects from the long-term use of medication
- failure to grow or develop normall
- missing out on sports and other after school activities due to frequent "flare-ups"
- If you have Familial Adenomatous Polyposis (FAP) and...
- you want to decrease the risk of developing colorectal cancer when there is a family history of abnormal polyps growing in the colon.