Pediatric Myelodysplastic Syndrome Specialty Care
Young patients with Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS) and Bone Marrow Failure (BMF) disorders require care from several pediatric subspecialists who are familiar with these diseases. Because children with MDS are at risk for developing leukemia, they require careful evaluation and ongoing management of their illness. Likewise, children with bone marrow failure disorders have a higher likelihood of developing MDS or other medical conditions.
Here at Dana-Farber/Children's Hospital Cancer Center (DF/CHCC), one of our experienced hematologists oversees your child’s care and leads a coordinated care team made up of many of the nation's most recognized experts in:
- stem cell transplantation
A number of our pathologists have received specialized training in pediatric hematopathology. We are one of the few programs in the country with hematopathologists specifically trained to diagnose blood diseases in children.
If your child has been diagnosed with MDS, our team of specialists will work with you and your child to determine the best possible care plan. We offer the following diagnostic and clinical services:
- comprehensive medical evaluation for children suspected to have Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS) or a Bone Marrow Failure (BMF) disorder
- expert consultations and second opinions from our pediatric hematopathology specialists who are familiar with diagnosing pediatric MDS and BMF disorders
- rapid, accurate diagnostic test for various bone marrow failure and related hematologic disorders through our advanced testing facilities
- access to clinical trials addressing the newest scientific discoveries related to pediatric MDS
- opportunities to participate in the Pediatric MDS Registry, which provides a central resource for researchers investigated the cause of pediatric MDS and BMF disorders
- access to one of the nation's most experienced pediatric stem cell transplant teams, with specialization in transplanting children with MDS and BMF disorders
- regular follow-up care through our program and our Stem Cell Transplantation Program
Physicians and research scientists at DF/CHCC manage the Pediatric Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS) and Bone Marrow Failure (BMF) Disorder Registry. We gather clinical information and tissue samples from patients around the country in order to study the cause of MDS and BMF and develop new, standardized treatments for these diseases.
For more information on care for bone marrow failure disorders, visit our Fanconi Anemia and Bone Marrow Failure Multidisciplinary Clinic.