Home Parenteral Nutrition (HPN) Program
In the Home Paternal Nutrition Program at Children’s Hospital Boston, we take a family-centered approach to treating children who require alternative methods of nutrition. From the first visit, we make sure that you know what each team member brings to the table, and help you to understand the underlying medical or surgical reasons for why your child needs parenteral nutrition.
Services we provide:
Because we specialize in the care of children, have long experience in supporting children on parenteral nutrition in a home setting, and can draw on the knowledge of experts across our institution, we can help you access services that address and help to prevent the major complications associated with parenteral nutrition, services that include:
- Highest quality teaching on home care
- Careful nutrition screening for deficiencies and excess
- Screening and treatment for low bone density
- Intravenous iron therapy to reduce or prevent the need for blood transfusions
- Home-based intravenous antibiotics if needed
- Low dose intravenous fat strategy
- Intravenous fish oil emulsion (Omegaven®)
- Ethanol locks
In addition, we make sure that your child’s catheter or line is properly placed and working as it should, or help coordinate line placement if your child does not yet have one. We also work with your local home care companies (e.g., infusion companies, infusion and specialized pharmacies, nursing agencies) to make sure you have the right prescriptions for your child’s medical and nutritional needs.
We encourage you or your physician to contact us to set up a consultation and learn more.