Having a child in the intensive care unit is one of the scariest things that can happen to a parent or family. But it might be reassuring to know that, at Children’s Hospital Boston, your child is cared for by some of the top pediatric intensive care specialists in the United States.
The Children’s advantage
- Our 29-bed facility is one of the largest and most sophisticated intensive care units in the country solely dedicated to cardiac care of children.
- We offer experience and expertise gained from treating more than 1,300 patients admitted to our unit each year.
- We routinely care for some of the most complex cases in the world.
- We care for children with non-surgical conditions such as heart failure and myocarditis, and children with heart disease undergoing non-cardiac surgery.
- We also treat older patients and adults who have developed complications or need further procedures as a result of long-standing or previously treated congenital heart disease.
Our award-winning nurses
Our Cardiac Intensive Unit has received the American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN) Beacon Award for Critical Care Excellence, which recognizes individual critical care units that have met rigid criteria for excellence in patient outcomes, care quality, patient safety, interdisciplinary practice, innovation and family-centered care.
Our CICU is only the second pediatric CICU in the country to receive this honor. Receiving the Beacon Award is a testament to the extraordinary CICU staff that provides exceptional care to our critically ill patients and their families every day.