For Medical Professionals
Graduate Medical Education (GME)
Graduate Medical Education Mission Statement
Leaders of tomorrow: Set the standard for training pediatric caregivers by offering new and innovative curriculum and systems. Support trainees in learning how to deliver the highest quality and safest care, especially to our patients with the most complex medical needs. Set the caliber of training to achieve the goals of educating and preparing the future leaders in pediatric medicine.
The Office of GME, working with the hospital's faculty, will shape, inspire and accelerate educational activities that will profoundly improve the educational outcomes of every resident. The hospital will set the standard for innovative approaches to pediatric training that will be worthy of commendation by the ACGME and serve as a model for other institutions.
excellence: We are committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do. First and foremost, we consistently strive to make the patient experience a model of quality care through advanced treatment, compassionate support and full family participation and communication. We will pursue graduate medical educational activities of the highest quality.
spirit of collaboration: We will treat others with respect, listen to diverse views with open minds, and foster discussions where participants can comfortably offer opposing opinions.
accountability: We will develop SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time-Bound) objectives aligned with the hospital’s educational mission, its funding priorities and the interests of residents, faculty, patients and their families and develop systems for evaluation and course corrections.
leadership: As an academic medical center devoted to the practice of pediatrics, Boston Children's Hospital fosters an environment of innovation and discovery and of individual and team contributions to advancing pediatrics in all areas of our mission.
Statement of Institutional Commitment to GME
It is Boston Children's Hospital's mission to provide the highest quality health care; enhance the health and well-being of the children and families in our local community; be the leading source of research and discovery; and educate the next generation of leaders in child health. Boston Children's Hospital pursues this mission in part through its commitment to sponsor and support high-quality graduate medical education programs.
Graduate Medical Education objectives
The primary goal of the graduate medical education programs at Children's Hospital is to educate and prepare physicians for excellence in clinical practice in a broad spectrum of pediatric medical and surgical specialties and subspecialties in both academic and private settings.
It is expected that each residency and fellowship program will:
- appoint the most qualified applicants
- recruit and retain outstanding faculty
- offer comprehensive educational programs while maintaining a balance among training, service and research
- evaluate and support the professional development and personal growth of each resident and fellow
meet national GME accreditation and specialty board eligibility requirements, as well as Children's Hospital GME policies
- Organize and support a Graduate Medical Education Committee with certain policy and oversight responsibilities as stated in ACGME documents.
- Fund a central administrative Office of Graduate Medical Education to support all GME programs.
- Support a faculty of full-time and visiting teaching attendings who will teach and supervise Residents/Fellows and who will contribute to the administration of the GME programs.
- Provide educational resources such as a library, conference space, computer systems and educational materials common to all GME programs.
- Strive to provide hospital professional, informational and support services that are adequate to meet the educational goals of each program.
- Ensure that all Residents and Fellows have the opportunity to learn and provide supervised, safe patient care. Ensure that all Residents/Fellows are treated evenly and fairly, and have ample opportunity to communicate any concerns.
- Coordinate the fair implementation of personnel policies and procedures for all trainees.
- Provide adequate on-call rooms, food services, security and other services beneficial to the well being of all trainees.